This one is an old favorite I made up accidentally one day. It's become something of a favorite. I told arie
about it on Thanksgiving day when we were talking on the phone back & forth and she demanded I write it down. I only just remembered that I had not done it yet, so here it is:Autumn Chicken Salad
All-white meat chicken salad with tart apples, dried cranberries & pecans, flavored with Autumn spices. Very unusual, but VERY good! I line pita breads with leaf lettuce and Swiss cheese, then stuff them with this - it's one of my favorite variations on plain old boring chicken salad.
- 3 cups cooked, chopped chicken breast
- 1 Granny Smith apple; cored and diced (peeling is optional - I leave it on for extra color and texture)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1-2 tsp ground cinnammon
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger (fresh grated is better)
- In a large bowl, combine the mayo, sour cream or yogurt, salt, pepper, and spices - mix well.
- Add the chicken, cranberries, apples & pecans and toss together to evenly blend the dressing into the salad.