?

Log in

No account? Create an account
BACK DOOR BOY IN A FRONT DOOR WORLD
OUTSIDE OF SOCIETY - THAT'S WHERE I WANT TO BE
Another reason I'm not for this marriage equality bullshit 
27th-Nov-2006 03:31 pm
Pamela Anderson divorcing Kid Rock after less than four months of marriage.

Yeah, okay. This is the kind of shit I'm talking about, and it's not just the celebrity fuck-ups, either - I'm talking about the 48% success rate, which again amounts to marriages that end in death. The other 52% are all divorces.

THIS is why I'm not interested anymore in 'marriage equality', I don't want this as the standard for an institution that is supposed to mean so much and represent the depth of committment.

As a matter of fact, I AM better than that.
Comments 
27th-Nov-2006 08:47 pm (UTC)
Marriage doesn't necessarily bring the word committment to mind, for the reason you've named above. That's what I've been exposed to most of my life.

Then again, I can look at my paternal grandparents, still very much in love after 50 years of putting up with each other. There is a problem with the way marriage is treated today--but those who still find that sense of committment and live up to it are among the lucky. And the strong.
27th-Nov-2006 08:56 pm (UTC)
But I still find it unfair that my fellow hets abuse the shit out of this "institution" yet deny it to gays.

It ain't right, and these two assholes just add yet another failed marriage to tht 52% and rising, divorce rate.

:/
27th-Nov-2006 10:35 pm (UTC)
I want everyone to have the right to make a mockery of this institution!
27th-Nov-2006 11:21 pm (UTC)
Ironic that while Gay Marriage in MA was supposed to rend the fabric of matrimony into shreds, the state has the lowest divorce rate in the nation.
28th-Nov-2006 02:42 am (UTC)
i thought the SAME thing when i first heard about it. grouped it in with the whole britney's 50 something hour marriage.
28th-Nov-2006 03:19 am (UTC) - marriage my ass
Ay-Fucking-men (and fucking men is what we're all about!)
28th-Nov-2006 03:59 am (UTC)
I don't believe in the institution of marriage. I would sooner put my faith in a partner who has shown that he/she intends to stay with me than in all the religious/civil ceremonies in existence.

Anyone can make a promise. It takes integrity to keep it.

And I say we're all entitled to better than a social structure originally intended to make a master out of one party and chattel out of the other. Fuck marriage. Give me love instead, and I'll be satisfied.

--Kris
28th-Nov-2006 02:19 pm (UTC)
... a social structure originally intended to make a master out of one party and chattel out of the other.

Marriage itself definitely needs a major makeover. I really would love to see an end to the insane amount of gender stereotyping that it causes, and I'd love to get rid of all the ceremonial marriage traditions that are grounded in, as you said, the idea of women as property. If this country is going to keep upholding the so-called sanctity of marriage, we need to make marriage more egalitarian.
28th-Nov-2006 02:14 pm (UTC)
This country definitely needs to revolutionize the way it thinks about commitment. I'm not against marriage, but I wish that everyone would quit acting like it's the only legitimate form of long-term commitment. I do think that people of any sexual-orientation should be allowed to marry whomever they please, but also believe that we need to start acknowledging civil unions, commonlaw marriages, cohabitation and the like as being just as legitimate as good ole hetero church marriages.

It's ridiculous that grown people (of any gender or sexual orientation) can't share health benefits and other legal rights with whomever they choose b/c some people live in some 1950s fantasy land where marriage is as sacred as it's supposed to be and the only true way of showing love for another person. It really has become a joke b/c so many people feel forced to get married when that's really not the best choice for them. We need to give people other options.
This page was loaded Oct 22nd 2017, 1:01 am GMT.